Sunday 1 May 2016

Today's Review: Goodfella's Sweet Fella's Apple Crumble Pizza


I reviewed the Goodfella's chocolate brownie pizza last year, and while it was a pretty neat idea, it didn't come together all that well, the toppings were alright, but the base left a lot to be desired. I've had my eye on this new iteration for a while now, but I was waiting for it to drop in price before I snatched one up. This is the same principle as the original, it's a dessert pizza, but this time it's topped with apple crumble. 


Doesn't look quite as good as it does on the packet, especially those little burnt bits in there, and they were already there before I put the thing in the oven. But hey, looks aren't everything, this is all about the taste, and I figured there's not much you can get wrong with an apple crumble. Turns out this is actually a pretty decent dessert. The topping is just right, a generous smattering of juicy, sweet apple pieces, and a nice buttery crumb, mixed in with yet more apple from the sauce it's all embedded in. I can't fault it really, it taste just like apple crumble. As for the base, it's pretty good, not perfect, but it made a better impression on me than with the chocolate brownie. I don't know if they've improved the recipe, or whether it's just more suited to the toppings this time around, but I found it to be a nice soft dough with a slight pastry-like texture that works very well with the crumble topping. The crust gets a bit too hard and stodgy, but the stuff in the middle is nice. 

This apple crumble pizza is a marked improvement on the chocolate brownie. I was a bit disheartened going into this, but I was pleasantly surprised. What's next for Sweet Fella's? I wouldn't mind finding out.

My rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment