Sunday 15 May 2016

Today's Review: Tesco Finest Mango & Chilli Popcorn


Despite having obtained a fair amount of snacks while on holiday, I couldn't resist popping into Tesco the other day and seeing if anything new had popped up while I was away. While my photography skills have clearly declined, my snack hunting senses are sharp, and I found a new range of Finest popcorn with some pretty fancy flavours. This is the one that caught my eye the most, a mango and chilli flavour popcorn, which is also packaged with crunchy coconut curls.

This is an interesting one. It's not like any other chilli popcorn, which is normally more of a salted popcorn kind of texture. Instead, these kernels are covered in a mango chilli flavoured caramel, so they're a lot more substantial and crunchy, and also quite a lot sweeter. In fact, it's maybe a little too sweet, and the caramel itself tends to overshadow the mango element. The chilli isn't immediately noticeable either, which is a shame, but as I carried on through the bag the heat crept up on me, and there was an ever-present undertone of spiciness that was actually pretty nice. As for the coconut, it seems to take the back seat in the description on the bag, but it plays a pretty big part overall. The kernels themselves have pieces of coconut in, and the curls are pretty big, and there are a lot of them. They pack quite a bold coconut flavour, so it's not bad if you're a big fan of coconut, but I came here more for the mango and chilli, and sadly this popcorn falls a little bit flat on those fronts. It's not a bad bag of popcorn, there's quite a bit of interesting stuff going on in here, I just didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as I thought I would. I'll be trying out the other varieties though.

My rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment