As I scoured the shelves at Asda the other day, I found myself perusing the world foods section. There, tucked away in an unassuming corner, I found a tiny packet of sweets. I picked them up on the basis that I'd never seen them before, and on closer inspection realised that they're chilli flavoured gummy sweets. Now, I love chilli, and I love gummy sweets, so surely this would be the perfect combination? Yes, actually, I had reservations from the moment I picked the bag up. Just because I like both elements, doesn't mean they're good when they're put together.
Turns out my intuition was right. These are pretty tiny sweets, and while at first they delivery quite a nice fruity flavour, it soon gives way to an uncomfortably hot chilli sensation. Now, I can handle a lot of heat, this included, but given the fact that it was coupled with a sweet that I had to keep chewing, the burning carried on for a lot longer than I was comfortable with. Normally there's some other flavour to keep you occupied, but this was just heat and chewy gelatin, and was pretty unpleasant. If you're a chilli maniac, you might want to give these a go, but I'd rather stick with the peppers.
My rating: 1/5

I have tried these sweets also and came to see reviews on this horrible product, but please dont let them horribly made chilli sweets put you off, I had a pack of chilli sweets which are more expensive however they are delicious you can get 175g for £3.50 on ebay the more you get the less of course. Luckily i had the nice ones before i tried these as if id tried these first i would have never tried one again haha.
ReplyDelete- Josh
I have tried these sweets also and came to see reviews on this horrible product, but please dont let them horribly made chilli sweets put you off, I had a pack of chilli sweets which are more expensive however they are delicious you can get 175g for £3.50 on ebay the more you get the less of course. Luckily i had the nice ones before i tried these as if id tried these first i would have never tried one again haha.
ReplyDelete- Josh
hii
ReplyDeleteThat description of the heat sticking around because of the chewy gelatin texture is so accurate! Spicy candy is always a risky gamble—when the sweet fruitiness fades fast and leaves pure burn, it completely ruins the snack experience. When taking a break after trying out weird snack finds and reading food reviews, streaming live news and entertainment on xuper tv keeps relaxing quick and easy. Appreciate the honest warning on these!
ReplyDeleteChili Mili gummies are definitely an acquired taste! In South Asia, spicy/sour gummies like these are super popular, but if you are expecting a standard sweet gummy with just a subtle kick, that lingering heat can definitely catch you off guard. For foodies and snack reviewers who like keeping background TV or live streams playing on a tablet while blogging, having the xuper tv app ready makes streaming super smooth. Great honest review!
ReplyDeleteHaha, your intuition was spot on! Pairing intense chili heat with a slow-chewing gummy bears formula always sounds better in theory than it tastes in practice. Finding unexpected gems (and fails) in the Asda world food aisle is half the fun of grocery shopping, though. Whether unwinding at home after reviewing unusual snacks or streaming live TV shows on your mobile device, installing the xuper tv apk gives you instant access to live channels anywhere. Fun read!
ReplyDeleteSpot-on assessment! There really needs to be a solid flavor profile like tamarind or mango to balance out the heat in spicy sweets. Pure chili burning through plain gelatin just feels like a challenge rather than a treat. After spending the evening hunting down imported snacks and reading snack review blogs, kicking back with super tv for live channels and evening shows is my favorite way to end the day. Keep these product reviews coming!
ReplyDelete