Sunday 23 September 2012

Today's Review: The Cabin In The Woods


A ethnically diverse group of college kids decide to go to a seldom used cabin in the woods for vacation. Can you guess what's gonna happen? You might think so, but this is The Cabin In The Woods, and things are certainly not as they seem.

Yes, this movie is perhaps one of the best forms of lampooning I've seen. It starts off like every other slasher movie that has been churned out by America, but there are also some shady goings on in a facility staffed by the always competent Bradley Whitford. After the regular horror flick happenings go down, the movie veers wildly off path and culminates in some of the weirdest and wonderful stuff I've seen in a movie.

So yes, The Cabin In The Woods is split into two quite distinct parts, the ordinary and the absolutely extraordinary. I don't think I'm alone in thinking that the first part is quite procedurally boring, but I think that's pretty much the point. We have the parallel events occurring in the facility to add the air of mystery, and once everything becomes clear it all falls into place, and I can easily say it makes an excellent movie overall.

Performances are... nothing amazing. I've already mentioned Bradley Whitford, who earned my love from The West Wing and Studio 60, but there's also his partner, played by Richard Jenkins, and they both do a great job as the shady professionals on the job. The rest of the cast certainly do the job well, but not quite up to the standard of the other two. Still, the meat of this movie is in its scope and originality, which it certainly gets top marks for in my book. If you're after something different, this is definitely worth a watch.

My rating: 4/5


No comments:

Post a Comment