Tuesday 25 September 2012

Today's Review: Reward Stickers

Everyone loves a sticker. People will, strangely, do many things for a sticker. Reward stickers have surprised me twice today with their effectiveness. First, they were a good enough incentive for my son to eject his waste into the toilet instead of on the floor (potty training, not problem child). Second, the possibility of obtaining a sticker caused both of my children to let me wash their hair with no fuss whatsoever (a previously unobtained achievement).

I'm sure it could be said for any type of behavioural based incentive. Badges, video game achievements, they're all things that we'll behave in a certain way to obtain, because we think they're cool and we want to show off. But my word, these stickers for the kids' reward charts have started to do wonders. Why do humans place such value in insignificant things? I don't know, though I probably should have an idea, what with my Psychology degree. But I'm not here to talk about that, I'm here to talk about stickers, because that's more fun.

These stickers can change the world. Had we rewarded some of the baddest people in history with tiny star shaped stickers on a chart, we might have avoided countless years of bloodshed. In fact, I think the usage of stickers could bring about peace and harmony throughout the whole world. As long as they're stuck on food packages, bags of money and peace treaties. But hey, let's give the guys holding all that back a sticker for their good behaviour, and we're good to go.

My rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment