Tuesday 17 June 2014

Today's Review: Spun Candy


Just down the road from Covent Garden market sits a quaint little candy store with a striking purple awning. This is Spun Candy, and they don't just sell a wide variety of rock candy, they also hand make it on site. This video gives you a tantalising look at the mixing and bubbling going on beneath the surface, but walking into the store is an experience in itself, as I was presented with a massive selection of brightly coloured candy, with yet more being rolled out behind the counter. 

The selection really is quite wonderful for an independent store. There are various kinds of lollipops, and various bags and jars of different flavoured candies. It was hard not to snap up one of everything, so I was quite conservative in choosing a bag of sour candy, and some butterscotch.


The sour mix contains a great selection of brightly coloured, boldly flavoured sweeties, reminiscent of Jolly Ranchers in intensity, but with a fantastic sour kick that tingles the tongue without going overboard. The butterscotch, almost on the other end of the spectrum, is a smooth, buttery experience, much like Werther's Original, but with a slightly imperfect texture that give it a distinct, handmade feel. These candies are all delicious, and I'm excited to go back and try out some more, especially the Fizzy Mix and Honeycomb I saw on display. But what I couldn't resist trying out this time was the pick 'n' mix in the corner, boasting a wide range of fruity pieces, cut from some classic seaside style rock.


Yes, they may be tiny, but each of these pieces packs a powerful flavour, and some fantastic designs to boot. I picked up the seasonal Father's Day candy, but also tried from the wide selection of fruity flavours, ranging from strawberry and grapefruit to lime and passion fruit, some with awesome cross sections that match the inside of the fruits perfectly, and some with more unique and interesting patterns. I couldn't fault any of these pieces, they're all uniquely flavoursome, and it didn't take me long to get through the twenty or so I picked up. 

So next time you find yourself in Covent Garden, you owe it to yourself to pay a visit to Spun Candy. All the candy I picked up is fantastic, and I'll definitely be going back for more. Even if you can't make it to London, you can still order online, so you've got no excuse not to try these awesome treats.

My rating: 5/5




1 comment:

  1. The Father's Day rock sweets look wonderful! I'll definitely check out this shop next time I'm in Covent Garden.

    ReplyDelete