Wednesday 6 January 2016

Today's Review: Ice Breakers Sours Green Apple Watermelon & Tangerine


I've seen these in Tesco several times now, but at £1.50 a pot they seemed a little pricey. Apparently not by too much though, because now they're on offer for £1.20 I didn't hesitate in buying some. These are disc shaped candies that come in three flavours: Green apple. watermelon and tangerine.

I was put off at first because these looked too much like a pack of mints, but the flavours swayed me into buying them. However, regular Ice Breakers are indeed mints, and I've found that a lot of the fruit variations from regular mint brands often have a strange menthol like taste to them. This is the case here, unfortunately, and while it does provide a little hit of freshness, in my view it compromises the flavour. The fruits are pretty well represented though. The watermelon has that great sweet flavour that you find in most watermelon flavoured candy, but it does succumb to the mintiness quite quickly, and that overwhelms it a bit too much. The green apple doesn't hold out for long at all, and while there's definitely a hint of fruit, it's not that great. The tangerine goes some way to make up for all that, it's a lovely, bold orange flavour that lasts throughout the entire sweet, and it's the one I reach for the most when I open up the pack. So I guess there's slightly more bad than good in here flavour wise, though I must say the sour element is very well done. It's not going to blow your head off, but it's a strong sour kick that permeates right through to the centre, and it actually satisfied my desire for sourness where many other sweets have failed. All in all, these aren't great, but they certainly could be worse. Nice and sour, with some interesting flavour, but ruined a little with the strange fresh aftertaste.

My rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment