Thursday 19 December 2013

Today's Review: Burger King Winter Whopper & Criss Cut Fries


Winter burgers must be a difficult thing to come up with. I mean, they're already warm, and they have to contain a patty, so what more could you do to instil that festive spirit? Apart from doing a turkey and cranberry sauce burger of course, but apparently none of the big chains will be that imaginative. No, instead we have the Winter Whopper from Burger King, whose main feature is... curry sauce?

Yes, an odd choice, and one I just had to try, not that I expected to like it. It contains the ingredients of your regular Whopper (yes, even the mayonnaise), but also boasts caramelised onions and the new Burger King Criss Cut Fries on top of the curry sauce. Yeah, if curry sauce wasn't enough to put you off the burger, how about having it mixed with mayonnaise? Ready to throw up? Well don't, you may be pleasantly surprised.

You see, the curry sauce isn't particularly hot. It pretty much has the flavour of regular chip shop curry sauce, and is quite sweet. I don't know whether it's via some kind of burger magic, but the sensation I got when biting into this burger was not "curry", but more like "warmth". I can't really explain it, but there's something about all these odd ingredients shoved into a bun that made me feel quite warm and cosy. I mean, this burger certainly doesn't taste as good as the old classics, the mixture of flavours does take a bit of getting used to, but I certainly enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to, especially the mayo/curry combination.

I went for a portion of Criss Cut Fries on the side, as it was only 20p extra to upgrade, which is quite cheap for alternative fried potato in a fast food place. Sure, there were some in the Winter Whopper, but I wanted to judge them by their own merits. These are also nice, although I must say I prefer the new style fries a lot more. The Criss Cut Fries were a little overdone for my liking, and although I like them crunchy, these were just a bit hard and chewy, with not much soft potato in the middle. 

The Winter Whopper is an interesting creation for the season, but it actually works quite well somehow. So don't be put off by the weird sauces inside, go and try one, and pick up the Criss Cut Fries too. They may not be perfect, but they won't be around for long.

My rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment