Saturday 14 December 2013

Today's Review: Francis Hartridge's Root Beer



I'm quite find of all these botanical drinks that have been popping up in recent years. They pack a nice punch and some truly delicious flavours. So upon seeing this bottle of old style root beer, I had to snap it up, especially as I don't think I'd had root beer before. Americans always se to be crazy about it... Or was that in the 50s? Either way, it was bottoms up.

Well, this root beer certainly didn't taste like I expected it to. Not that I had any idea as to how it would taste, but it sure wasn't like this. It has elements of aniseed, mouthwash, that stuff they give you to swill your mouth out at the dentist... I'm not sure, it's a very bold, certainly almost medicinal flavour, but there's something about it that is pretty tasty. While other botanical drinks like Fentimans certainly have that medicinal tinge, they are also very sweet, but this bottle was a little tart in comparison. There's definitely some sweetness present, but it was just a bit too bitter and oddly flavored for me to fully enjoy. Still, it's refreshing and different, and certainly worth a try if you're into your old fashioned glass bottle beverages.

My rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment