Sunday 1 December 2013

Today's Review: Chianti & Olive Pastinos


Pastinos are an interesting little snack. I picked them up a while back, after spying them nestled among the regular potato and tortilla chips in Whole Foods. But these are not your regular chips, they are in fact pieces of pasta, all crunchy and flavoured like chips should be.

I was a bit dubious at first about these. I mean, I enjoy crunching on a piece of uncooked pasta or two while cooking, but to devour a whole bag? Seems a bit weird. Thankfully, these pieces of pasta will not break your teeth. They are fantastically crunchy, more so than tortilla chips, but they're still pretty easy to break apart.

Unfortunately, the flavour isn't all that great. I went for the most interesting one, looking forward to a unique olive flavour, but I was left a little underwhelmed. They certainly tasted nice, but there was nothing bold, or even particularly noticeable. The good points of these lie in the crunch and texture, rather than the flavour itself. Perhaps I'd hold a better opinion if I tried the other varieties, but while these are quite good, I don't think I'd buy them over more commonplace chips again.

My rating: 3/5

1 comment:

  1. We live in Norfolk where good food is appreciated , having come across Pastino's purely by accident on one of our rare visits to Aldi's I was curious as to what a pasta snack on the go would taste like so we picked up a bag Chianti & olive flavour.We opened the bag in the car on the way home and was immediately hooked, went straight back into the store and bought another couple of bags to take home together with a bag of every other flavour they had. And this my problem as I cannot decide which are my favourite. Oh well until such time that I can decide I shall have to continue buying all four flavour's everytime I come across them whilst shopping.

    ReplyDelete